The Cooper Capers

The life and love of me and my family

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Discovery Gateway Children's Museum















Carly had a couple of days off from school this week for SEP (parent teacher) conferences so I decided to go to the children's museum. We have 2 for 1 coupons and we've never been since it moved from downtown. If anyone hasn't been there yet I would recommend it! It was loads of fun. Stephanie took her boys, Wilson and Bennett, with us and Julie and Claire came too. We got there a little after 11:30am. When I walked in my first reaction was that it wasn't very big and how could we possible stay busy for long. Well, I was wrong. They packed in a ton of stuff to explore and do plus there is an upstairs that I wasn't aware of. In fact we didn't even go upstairs until about 3:30pm and there was a lot more to do that we didn't get to. Everyone was busy playing house in a giant playhouse, putting balls through the water tunnels, shopping and buying groceries at the market, sorting veggies on the farm, feeding the life size horse, building or demolishing in the construction site, delivering mail to all the boxes, shooting balls up the suction tubes, building parachutes from coffee filters, magnet blocks, flying the LifeFlight helecopter on the roof, and Gus's personal favorite, building block towers and knocking them over with the earthquake table. We painted with water balloons, listened to a story, did stamps, dress ups, played in the giant bird house, rode the slides, and it goes on and on! After five hours or so Stephanie decided that she needed to go. After hive hours I still had to carry out upset children who didn't want to leave. To me, that means it was worth the $17 to get in.
We only had one little mishap. I was at the farm with Leo watching him sort carrots when I saw Stephanie out of the corner of my eye running after Wil towards the bathroom. I figured he needed to go potty and had waited too long so she was going to help him. Then I saw Bennett following a ways behind her. He quickly got distracted and started heading out of the door. So, I ran to get him so he wouldn't get lost. As soon as I got to him, Steph came out of the bathroom with Wil and she started to tell me what happened. Then, I heard Leo crying, and a lady had him in her arms and she was saying, "I have this baby and he is bleeding! Who's baby is this?" Oh great! He had fallen and cut his eye on the corner of the cabinet that he was cruising on in the farm. We got the bleeding stopped pretty quickly and the first-aid guys at the museum tried to put a piece of gauze on it with some surgical tape. The one side stuck but the other just hung down in front of his eye. He loved that. Once it quit bleeding all the way, I took it off because it was just bugging him. It didn't take too long before he was ready to get down and play again, so I figured he was okay. Don't you hate it when that happens! It made me feel like such a bad mom. Of course he falls and draws blood just as soon as I turn my back...sigh! That's motherhood for you.

1 comment:

Heidi #1 said...

So that's what happened to his eye...other than that it looks like fun! I too have been saving my 2 for 1 coupons from the paper and planning to go soon, but never want to go by myself. It's good that you have someone to go with. I will go sometime because Adam wont let me forget about it.


galog